Thursday, May 16, 2013
How to Replace the Thermostat on an Audi 1 8T
1. Remove the two bolts that secure the water outlet housing to the Audis engine with a socket and ratchet. With the bolts removed, lift the housing off the engine to expose the thermostat.
2. Note the positioning of the thermostat inside the engine. When you replace the thermostat, you must install it with the same positioning. Pull the old thermostat out of the engine and plug the hole with a shop rag.
3. Remove the old gasket from the engine with a wire brush or metal scraper. Do the same for the old gasket material stuck to the bottom of the water outlet housing.
4. Pull out the shop rag from the engine and install the new thermostat into position. Place a new gasket over the thermostat.
5. Place the water outlet housing onto the gasket and secure both to the engine with the socket and ratchet.